My location intelligence research interests are reflected by:
The quality of my scholarship has been recognized by the Business Geography Specialty Group of the American Association of Geographers, who presented me with their BGSG Distinguished Scholar Award in 2018.
What is Location Intelligence?
Location intelligence is the combined application of geographic thinking, visualization, and analytics to empower and enable organizations of all kinds to incorporate a consideration of place and space into an improved conceptual structure for decision-making. Geography has a rich literature and tradition of employing these conceptual and technological assets in aid of business decision-making ("business geography"). The power of location intelligence is its ability to extend this framework to similarly assist other organizations, such as non-profit organizations and governments, that do not exist to seek a monetary profit but nonetheless have important strategic and operational decisions to make that also have a spatial dimension.
Beyond attention to concerns relating to the definition of the emerging location intelligence field, my research falls in two broad categories:
1. Metropolitan Corporate Development and Entrepreneurship
2. Markets, Services, and Urban and Regional Change
Below is a link to the location intelligence research group I participate in to facilitate and encourage collaborative research in all of the above areas (and more), leveraging the best from our UNT community of faculty colleagues, alumni, and current students. This group is a venue to facilitate our collaboration on research, teaching, and service-related projects.
Check out the link below to see more about our group, our research interests, and how the coursework we offer connects to rewarding real-world employment.
Click on the flyer image above to download a larger, PDF version.
Murray D. Rice and Tony Hernandez, editors. (2017) Location Intelligence Research and Applications. Kent, Ohio: Applied Geography Conference. ISBN: 978-0-99119-751-4. Click the book cover image or link above to access a free book download page.
Murray D. Rice (2023) Business GIS Methods & Applications: An Applied Handbook for Analysis in Retail & Business Geography. ISBN: 978-1-6499-936-8. Click the book cover image or link above to access a free book download page.
Other Key Elements of My Research Program
My external support: Below is a summary of my funded requests for external funding and donor support.
Conference presentations: I regularly present at a number of prominent conferences. Here is an archive of selected conference presentations from the last few years.
Books: below you can find links to my 2017 and 2023 books that document a wide range of applications in location intelligence.
Research collaborations: I am collaborating on investigations and curriculum development initiatives with an international network of faculty and industry experts who share my broad interests in geography, businesses, and cities. I particularly welcome inquiries from students who wish to engage in graduate studies related to any of my study fields; I also welcome expressions of collaboration interest from business geography academics and practitioners.
Interviews and other media: I've had the pleasure of having a few of my interview/lecture opportunities recorded over the years.
- Here is a 2015 interview I did with Linda Peters for inclusion in Esri's Location Advantage MOOC. The interview focuses on the reasons why businesses should include geography in their planning, and why students should consider business geography as a career. Here is a transcript of the interview.
- I appeared in a 2012 news report on TSTV, a Shandong Province, China television channel. In the report, TSTV covered a retail geography talk I gave at the University of Jinan. The report is in Chinese, but it includes a few comments from me in English.
- Here is a 2009 podcast I did with the Canadian Embassy in Washington DC, where I discuss some of my research into the geography of rapidly-growing businesses in Canada.
© Murray D. Rice. All rights reserved.